Wednesday 12 January 2011

Showing Up In 2011



Happy New Year!

'Tis the seasons of new years resolutions and here's mine -


  • To finish playing through and analysing all 211 Beatles songs.
  • To do some songwriting every single day.


In order to give these two my best shot I need to make a few changes to this blog.

I started dissecting the Beatles' songs (and blogging about it at Beatles Songwriting Academy) during my sabbatical. This has been really beneficial to my songwriting but has proved to be a massive undertaking - who knew, right? At my present rate it's going to take the next 4 years of my life to get through all the songs so I've decided to devote a lot more time to finishing it sooner. The plan is to play through and analyse an album per month, that way I'll have done all the spade work by the end of the year even if it will take a while for the blog to 'catch up'.

Songwriting every day will leave less time to blog, but it should result in more songs to post here for free, and better songs (practice makes er...slightly better?). Even in these early stages it feels like I'm starting to dig down deeper into my own spiritual struggles and feelings and I feel like I'm becoming a more honest writer.

Writing every day should also give me more insight into the process of writing as well using the songwriting process as a form of journalling/prayer/psychoanalysis (delete as applicable).

Last year I wrote 7 songs most of which I was happy with and most I posted (or will post).

Woody Allen allegedly said “80% of success is showing up”. I'm hoping to test that out by showing up to write every day and see what happens. I did think of posting every day but I quickly figured that would be too much for me and you!

So less posts. More songs.

Hope you're up for that.

Download The Morning After The Day You Saved The World - for free
Other free songs by Matt Blick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.