Saturday 5 December 2009

Serious Like Weird Al (pt.4)





Another piece of evidence as I build a case for why Weird Al Yankovic should be hailed as one of the most skillful songwriters of this generation. Take a look at these lyrics – notice anything unusual?

Bob by Weird Al Yankovic

I, man, am regal - a German am I
Never odd or even if I had a hi-fi
Madam, I'm Adam, too hot to hoot
No lemons, no melon, too bad I hid a boot
Lisa Bonet ate no basil, Warsaw was raw
Was it a car or a cat I saw?

Rise to vote, sir, do geese see God?
"Do nine men interpret?" "Nine men," I nod
Rats live on no evil star.
Won't lovers revolt now? Race fast, safe car
Pa's a sap, Ma is as selfless as I am
May a moody baby doom a yam?

Ah, Satan sees Natasha. No devil lived on
Lonely Tylenol not a banana baton
No "x" in "Nixon", O, stone, be not so
O Geronimo, no minor ego
"Naomi," I moan, "A Toyota's a Toyota"
A dog, a panic in a pagoda

Oh no! Don Ho! Nurse, I spy gypsies - run!
Senile felines, now I see bees I won
UFO tofu. We panic in a pew
Oozy rat in a sanitary zoo
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog

Spot it? That's right. Every single line is a palindrome - or two (i.e. reads the same backwards as well as forward). Even the title is a palidrome. Pretty clever huh? But that's not enough for our dread champion. The song actually rhymes as well and, as a pastiche of Subterranean Homesick Blues, the lyrics also make sense - in a Dylanesque psychedelic stream of conscience kind of way.

Add a simple video that also parodies Dylan's groundbreaking video and you have a work of art.

(sorry about the dumb advert first...)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.