Friday 19 June 2009

Halle Lujah

-


Another one to add to my list of weird gigs.

Last Tues I had the privilege of singing with the world famous Halle Orchestra. At 150 years the Halle is the oldest orchestra in the UK. Along with 400 other amateurs (including two of my children) we attempted 'Zadok the Priest' by Handel and 'O Fortuna' by Carl Orff. The latter is an awesome piece – the lyrics are railing against the tyranny of impersonal fate. I'm sure if I didn't believe in the providence of a loving, wise, personal God, I'd feel like this too...

O Fortune, like the moon
Stands constantly changing,
ever waxing or waning...

Fate - monstrous and empty,
you whirling wheel, stand malevolent,
well-being is vain and always fades to nothing,
shadowed and veiled you plague me too...

since Fate strikes down the strong man,
everyone weep with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.