Thursday 23 June 2011

Day 174: Good Report & Greeting From The Edge


Tell yourself every time you play that the world will not end, and people will not hate you, just because you make a mistake

Today I was writing reports for pupils. (yay teaching!)

I wrote the above in a report for a very nervous student. I didn't add the following, though it would also be good advice

The world will end and people will hate you, but it won't be just because you make a mistake on the guitar



In other news

I'm still chipping away at Never Be Silent. I know what Philip Glass means when he talks about writing at the very edge of what he can hear. That's what I'm doing musically and theologically. Every evening I'm looking at a bewildering musical puzzle and eventually fitting in one more piece of the puzzle saying "Yes. Am will work there in place of A major". Or "Yes.'Take more poison' sings better than 'drink more poison'"

The only way through is to record it now without trying to perfect it first. I can understand very complex music and sift through theological nuances when they are there in front of me. But when it is all in my head it's so hard to understand what I have.

I know it will not I'm pretty sure it will not be a great song. I've already written one bad song with this idea. But having pushed myself I know I will be a better writer for finishing it. And my compositional comfort zone will always just be that little bit bigger.

Free songs by Matt Blick




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.